Fellows of Contemporary Art is pleased to offer an Open Call for curatorial submissions from “emerging curators” for its Curators Laboratory program. FOCA is now publicly seeking proposals for the 2017 season of exhibitions with engaging curatorial concepts that will take place at the FOCA Chinatown exhibition space in January, May and September of 2017.
Fellows of Contemporary Art is an independent non-profit art organization that collaborates with the art community at large and nurtures the expression of creative freedom in support of contemporary California art and artists.
The latest chapter in our ongoing support for California art and artists is the Curators Laboratory, an ongoing series of exhibitions at FOCA’s exhibition space. Since our initial Curators Lab, exhibition, “Stoneface,” in 2007 more than eighty three emerging or established artists have been featured in twenty exhibitions. Each project involves public events and some form of documentation.
More information about Curators Lab projects can be found at http://focala.org/curators-lab/. All proposals must be received by email by August 15, 2016 and will be reviewed by the Curators Lab Committee which will select the Award finalists. These six finalists will be asked to present their proposals in person to the Committee on Saturday, September 10, 2016. Please save this date as it will be the only presentation opportunity. At that presentation the Committee will choose the three award recipients for the 2016 exhibits. Group exhibitions are highly preferred. The word “Emerging Curator” is loosely defined and may include artists, writers or others who conceive of and organize an exhibition. All artists in the proposed exhibition must be practicing in California, and can be emerging or mid-career artists.
If you have an exhibition proposal you would like us to consider, please include the following in your proposal:
- A one page narrative expressing your curatorial concept.
- A budget that outlines how FOCA’s $2,000 Curator’s Lab Award would be used to support the project. The budget of $2,000 is the Total award, except for funding for refreshments. This award must also cover your “catalog” costs, deliveries, installation, parking and any other expenses you incur.
- Information about the artists you plan to involve (names, email addresses and phone numbers), and information about the works proposed. ALL artists must be California artists).
- An “event” you would plan during the run of the exhibit. We highly encourage you to speak, at least briefly, at the Opening, as to your Exhibition concept. We encourage all artists to be present at the Opening.
- A proposed publication for FOCA’s archives. The “catalog” can be anything of your choosing. FOCA requests 10 catalogs for our archives. We will fund these 10 catalogs at your wholesale “cost” separate from your award budget.
Supplemental materials will be accepted in the following formats:
Submissions will be accepted electronically by the FOCA office at FOCA@focala.org, either by email with attachment of your proposal or by Drop Box: Click Here to Upload your 2017 Curatorial Submission
Unfortunately, because of our time schedule, no submissions can be considered if received after August 15, 2016.
If you have any questions, please contact Connie McCreight, Curators Laboratory Chair at (323) 717-4729 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Norikio Fujinami, Curators Laboratory Co-Chair, at email@example.com
We thank you for your interest,
Curators Laboratory Committee
Fellows of Contemporary Art
Fellows of Contemporary Art
970 N Broadway, #208
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: (213) 808-1008
F: (213) 808-1018
Leave a Reply